Thursday, July 05, 2007

"Is there someone who speaks Spanish?"

One of the things that struck me the most after being away from the States for two years is how almost everything is bilingual now.

A Hispanic lady was at the post office counter before me, and the clerk needed a translator. Thankfully, someone was found.

I really feel like I need to learn Spanish. (It has been a long time since those high school classes.)

As we were entering America, "our" official at Newark New Jersey's airport immigration section asked where we had been and engaged in some friendly American surface conversation. Then he mentioned his observation that in 5 years, we would need to know Spanish, because of the changing demographic of this country.

By the way, I'm not really back to blogging yet - I just couldn't wait till August, when my life will finally return to normal - so I squeezed in this tiny bit of blogging. So please check back in early August - then I'll really dive back into blogging.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hello. Nice to hear that you made it back to the US alive.