Monday, February 09, 2009

Denver Art Museum - an outing

Saturday we went to the Denver Art Museum. It was great!

On the first Saturday of each month, Target is sponsoring Free Saturdays at the Museum. Yay Target!! (It would have cost us $41 if Target had not paid the bill.)

My favorite part of this visit was the western art section. Normally that isn't my cup of tea, but for some reason, this time it really hit me in a positive way. That collection was very well put together - and compelling.

Seeing real art up close and personal is unbeatable. You can look at prints of art in books, but nothing beats the intensity of seeing the real colors and scale of the works.

This was only my third time to visit the museum. The most recent time before this was maybe five years ago, so it was my first time in the new Libeskind addition.

(By the way, that's Jay, our oldest, next to the trumpet player.)

I took so many pictures that I have to share more with you later.

1 comment:

Marti said...

I was surprised by that Western art collection as well. Wasn't expecting that to be my favorite! And it sounds like they are planning to move/expand that collection as well.

I also enjoyed people-watching on my last visit to the museum. There are definitely "types" of people who go there.

Was a bit fascinated by that top painting; also liked the one by that artists called "fatherhood" I think. I'd like to see more of his work.