These are not in order. I didn't want to narrow my choices by ranking them.
- Mozart 40 & 41 Symphonies: George Szell with the Cleveland Philharmonic
- Beatles: Abbey Road
- Bach, Vivaldi - Concerti for 2 Violins: Stern & Zukerman
- Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
- Radiohead: The Bends
- Pat Metheny Group: First Circle
- Talking Heads: Speaking in Tongues
- Elton John: Goodbye Yellowbrick Road
- Quasi: Featuring Birds
- Fleetwood Mac: Fleetwood Mac
Disclaimers & notes:
- Nothing later than 1998 is listed, even though I love a lot of music created since then. I just couldn't come up with anything from that category that I felt was worthy of this list.
- Lyrics: I am not into lyrics. Some of the lyrics in some of these songs may be offensive (particularly Quasi!) - so if you listen to any of this music and find the words offensive, please don't think that I consider what's sung as my worldview! Nor do I advocate the lifestyles of some of the musicians. I'm just into melodies. (And I know some out there can argue with this point.)
- I like music from other genres than rock, classical/baroque and jazz (such as bluegrass), but again, I didn't like anything there enough to add it to my list.
- I am tired of some of these albums to the level that I can't hear them again for a long time. But each has provided more pleasurable listens than albums that are not on this list.
- Taste is a personal thing - your list would or should look different than mine!