Monday, December 03, 2007

Train riding fun

Yesterday afternoon, for a family outing, we rode the train from a suburb of Denver to downtown. There are two main lines, both going from south of town to the heart of downtown.

We were hoping to see some Christmas displays in shop windows (like when I was a kid going into Washington, DC). But we were disappointed.

Anyhow, the train ride was fun for all. Very smooth and fast. (Not fast like the European trains, but fast compared enough to be about the same speed as traffic-free driving there.)

Europe does trains right, of course - because they started their networks so much earlier than Denver did. The same goes for many US cities. Now the infrastructure costs so much - but I'm glad they're doing it.

2 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

Kids love trains:)

Rob said...

I can't get over how much my ideas about transportation have changed since I've been in Germany. I actually almost hate cars now - except for those Mercedes that I see in town. Seriously, trains are the way to go. If the States went back to rail like they had back in the early part of last century, we could solve a lot of the energy problem. A lot of the infrastructure problems would be gone along with the huge costs of road maintenance. Well, there's a whole semester's worth of stuff to talk about. Trains are just so much better and fun to ride.