Thursday, April 24, 2008

Everyone but us (well, almost)

There's a great show on HBO now - John Adams.

As each day passes, more and more great shows exit from network TV and go over to cable. This is particularly sad for me, as we do not subscribe to cable.

It's another item in the getting sidelined for not spending that [amount here] every month category.

I haven't seen the statistics, but I think the number of cable (and sat-tv) subscribers continues to rise. I think the growth curve is flatter than what it was a few years ago, but it must keep on climbing.

We made a choice to spend that money on things like gymnastics lessons for our son Jay.

7 comments:

jasonjyee said...

That's what bittorrent is for. No need for cable or a Tivo when someone else is recording and digitizing shows for you... the best part is when they're in the UK getting you things they just don't show in the states.

Let me know if you need help getting setup.

Courtney O. said...

not everyone but you... we don't have it either.

Jenny said...

We don't have pay TV either. It is about $40 a month here for the basic package. That is $40 per month we don't have.
I also download most things I am interested in anyway.

Jenny said...

Have you seen the add by Google today?

Why is the rapture a lie?
Jesus Christ will return to rule earth with the resurrected saints.
www.the-end.com

Marti said...

It does seem like there's nothing on, on regular TV, so every time I'm someplace with cable I get kind of exciting about watching TV, start surfing channels... but, as my stepdad (who does pay for cable) warns, "Don't get your hopes up. It's still a vast wasteland out there!"

Bob A said...

We actually have cable (Verizon Fios) but don't subscribe to HBO. I really want to see the John Adams series, though. I think he was the best thinker of the lot among America's founding brothers.

Barb said...

I'll wait till it's on netflix.